Salve for Souls

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Grammatical Crimes I Have Committed


That one click of my computer’s mouse almost spelled disaster.  I was putting the final touches on my inspirational thriller, The Face Behind the Veil, and about to e-mail it to my publisher, when I decided to change a character’s name from Joseph to Stanley. 
           
 It only took an instant to do this "globally"  throughout the 600 page, three-part document, which traces the legend of the birth veil through three generations.
            
 That was the only alteration I made after the book was edited.  Confident it was error-free, I clicked "send" and off it went.   It wasn’t long before I received the galley proof for me to approve, so the printing process could begin.
             
Weary of the seven-year project, I almost didn’t review the galley.  But something in me couldn’t let it go until I did.  That must have been Providential.  Imagine my shock when I discovered how the name change I made affected a scene where the Christmas story is told.  In horror, I read the following.
                      
 "Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Stanley, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. Then Stanley her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily. But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Stanley, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost . . .. Then Stanley being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife."
(Matthew 1:18-20, 24)

After getting over my initial shock, I made the necessary changes.  However, rather than globally, I did this the old fashioned way, one at a time.



Think that dream  you had might mean something? Flora's devotional explores the many expressions of God's voice. 
http://shop.myhelpinghandspress.com/Where-Your-Heart-Meets-God-Flora-Reigada-97885167.htm?categoryId=-1 
         

2 comments:

  1. Flora, this is absolutely hysterical! I laughed so much! So much for computers. You have to keep an eye on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony, Sorry for the delay in my reply, but my computer has been giving me grief. Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you were able to have a good laugh.

      Delete