Salve for Souls

Saturday, April 2, 2016

THEY'RE COMING TO TAKE ME AWAY: MORE GRAMMATICAL CRIMES


As a writer, I am privileged to have hubby, Dan, as my editor and first line of defense against errors. He has earned his nickname. "Ol' Eagle Eye." Whether glaring or subtle, he will spot errors and pounce on them like an eagle on its prey.

Here are some examples:

From my devotional, "Where Your Heart Meets God's," Dan and I read, "while wandering up and down a city street, looking for the hospital where my mother was a patient, I walked into a building."

"Ouch!" Dan exclaimed. "Did you get a bloody nose when you walked into the building?"

To correct this, I changed walked into a building, to entered a building.

My romance/mystery, "Love's Sweetest Revenge," opens as Liz has a dangerous encounter with a bear. She escapes, but is left with a fear of the forest she once loved. Best friend, Rosa is about to venture in, and tells Liz, "I don't expect you to come with me, though I did bring my rifle after you told me about this latest bear.  It's in the car."

Dan was amazed. "How did she get the bear in her car? And does it have a key?"

We re-wrote as follows: "I don't expect you to come with me, though after you told me about this latest bear I brought my rifle.  It's in the car."

And watch out for those double entendres. You be the judge. Ol' Eagle Eye discovered this one and gave me a raised eyebrow.

In "Love's Sweetest Revenge," Carlos recalls the broken femur he suffered in a near-fatal motorcycle accident. "I saw my bone sticking out of my pants leg," he said.

We re-wrote as follows: I saw the bone sticking out of my leg."   

 Before I emailed a story to a newspaper, Dan gave it a once-over.

"Who is Violent?" he asked me.

I could not believe that is what I had called someone named Violet.

Just one little "n" added with the slip of a finger, made quite a difference. It was also something my spell-checker did not flag.

Global changes of a name or word throughout a document can "spell" catastrophe.

While writing my inspirational thriller, "The Face Behind the Veil," I globally changed a character's name from Peter to Cedric. Imagine my surprise when I discovered reference to the biblical book of 1 Peter, changed to 1 Cedric.

Beware of the horrors of homonyms. These are words pronounced the same as another word but differs in meaning, and may differ in spelling.

For example, Ol' Eagle Eye found my reference to "The British Aisles," rather than the "British Isles."

 Well, that's awl eye half two say four now.

Flora's devotional, "Where Your Heart Meets God's," published by Helping Hands Press, explores the many expressions of God's voice. These can be as close as a Bible, nature's beauty, music, the words of a friend, even our dreams. Find out more: http://www.amazon.com/Where-Your-Heart-Meets-Gods/dp/1622085868

Flora's romance novel, "Love's Sweetest Revenge," published by Helping Hands Press, opens in New York State's dense forest, where Liz encounters a bear. Liz runs in panic with the bear in pursuit. Falling but surviving, Liz discovers an old locket with a mysterious love letter. Its clues bring her and friend, Rosa, to romance and adventure on Florida's sun-kissed shores. Find out more: http://www.amazon.com/Loves-Sweetest-Revenge-Flora-Reigada/dp/1622085884
Flora's inspirational thriller, "The Face Behind the Veil," explores the secrets of the mysterious birth veil, what it meant to three generations of women and what it means to us today.
Find out more: http://florasbook.com

6 comments:

  1. Very funny! Luckily you have 'Ol Eagle Eye (I)
    Amazing the meticulousness that goes into proof reading. Time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is! We just finished an editing session in "Love and Obsession" the second in the series. It mentally drained us both.

      Delete
    2. It's always good to have another pair of eyes,especially sharp eyes like Dan's.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Great and comical reminder to carefully proofread every word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great and comical reminder to carefully proofread every word.

    ReplyDelete