Salve for Souls

Thursday, November 10, 2016

GRAMMATICAL CRIMES: MY CONFESSION



Flora Reigada confesses to "GRAMMATICAL CRIMES I HAVE COMMITTED"

During the final, critical moments of a football game, I leaped to my feet with the cheering crowd when the quarterback hit a home run.
Not really—but that scenario illustrates something unbelievable about my writing career. For several years, I covered sports for a newspaper, even though I know absolutely nothing about sports.

I got by quoting those involved in and passionate about whatever sport I was featuring.
People were amazed by my "vast knowledge." Now the truth can be told.

It can also be told about mistakes I have made as a writer. I keep a log to remind myself how easy it is to trip up—sometimes in subtle ways. Errors were often caught by my husband and editor, Dan, whom I call Ol' Eagle Eye. He will spot a mistake and pounce on it.

Here are some examples:
In a query to a publisher, I wrote, "A 100 word blub follows, rather than a blurb.

In a devotional, I wrote about a lethargical dancer, rather than a liturgical dancer.

I addressed an envelope containing my manuscript to Strange Publications, instead of Strang Publications.
For a newspaper story about how a New Jersey transplant initially thought Florida was a new state with little history, I wrote, "A move to Titusville and the historic, LaGrange Cemetery would challenge that perception."
Dan asked me if she had moved to the cemetery.

I re-wrote the sentence as follows: "A move to Titusville and a visit to the historic, LaGrange Cemetery would challenge that perception."

In "Lovers and Secrets," book three of my "Castle in the Sun" romance series, I wrote, "Carlos returned to his room, immaculately cleaned by hotel workers."

Dan asked me if he had been scrubbed down with a big brush.

I re-wrote the sentence as follows: Carlos returned to his hotel room, finding it immaculately cleaned by hotel workers.
Somehow, at the conclusion of a Bible verse in a very serious devotion, an extraneous word became inserted. "But knowing these things and knowing His fate, Jesus still told his disciples, 'I have looked forward to this hour with deep longing, anxious to eat this Passover meal with you.'" Pocahontas
Dan asked me if Pocahontas attended the last supper.

This is but a sampling of my mistakes, many of which got past my spelling/grammar checker. Sharp human eyes always work best.


FLORA'S BOOKS, published by Helping Hands Press:
Think that dream you had might mean something? "Where Your Heart Meets God's" explores the many ways He whispers our name.
https://www.amazon.com/Where-Your-Heart-Meets-Gods/dp/1622085868
Sample kindle edition only 99 cents.
https://www.amazon.com/Where-Your-Heart-Meets-Gods-ebook/dp/B00X1LCFXK



How could a dangerous bear encounter possibly lead to a vacation in paradise--and romance?
Find out in "Love's Sweetest Revenge," first in the "Castle in the Sun" series." https://www.amazon.com/Loves-Sweetest-Revenge-Flora-Reigada/dp/1622085884/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
Will Steve get past Jack and his motorcycle buddies to stop Liz and Carlos' wedding? Find out in "Love and Obsession," second in the "Castle in the Sun" series.


In "The Face Behind the Veil," travel in time to old New York and meet WWII's "Greatest Generation."

No comments:

Post a Comment